Friday, May 2, 2014

jump!

My thought process yesterday was that I had ridden a handful of times and had successful rides on the flat. I felt good, Kenny was tagging along with the baby and he is an excellent jump crew, so why not put up some little jumps and see what I had to work with?

She warmed up wonderfully on the flat but was really a maniac when I aimed her at the first crossrail. This thing was DINKY but she went at it like it was 3'. I tried a few nice ways to ask her to back off but she tuned me out like an obnoxious children's toy that sings songs (ask me how I know), so I resorted to lots of very small circles before and after the jump. If she went along nicely and without hauling, she got to keep going. If she pulled or took off, she went in a 10 metre circle. I also employed lots of halt transitions and those got her attention pretty well. Towards the end we did a little line of a crossrail to a tiny vertical.

We ended the ride on a positive note and I was just happy to have the first jump session over and done with. That was the first time we've jumped since November 2012, so, yeah, it's been a while!




9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful horse! Exciting. I love the photos. Who captures your shots while you ride. (Maybe once I read further posts, I will know that answer. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! My husband usually takes the photos, though sometimes my friend and barnmate Maddy takes them. I'm lucky!

      Delete
  2. Wow!! You are so amazing!! I can't believe you're already jumping!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, you're already back to where I normally am! And much sympathy about childrens toy songs... I sing them at work all the time... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already jumping with lovely form to boot? Impressive!!!
    Looks like you guys are having a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you guys jumping again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray for jumping again! You are certainly inspiring - this is giving me hope that if I ever get pregnant, it's not the end of my horse world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay jumping again! You both look like you're ready for more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!